“I think SFWA should be a primarily a professional organization.”
- John Scalzi, SFWA President (2007)
1. The Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers (SFWA) has not filed a tax return with the IRS in three (3) years. How are your dues being utilized? Over the past several years (since 2008) tax returns of the SFWA have been “delayed” and not been made available to members. Why? Honest and timely tax organizational reporting and transparency, especially from a non-profit agency, is a key element to a trustworthy organization. Since members of SFWA trust the organization with their good name, they could experience negative career exposure with their good names being tarnished when an organization becomes corrupt (or cultish . . . see below). It can drag their members down with them. Thus harming reputations and careers that have taken a lifetime to build. See http://thewriteagenda.wordpress.com/sfwa/.
2. Writer Beware ™ and its officers, Ann “A.C.” Crispin and Victoria Strauss misappropriate the non-profit status of SFWA for self-promotion purposes. They don’t accept donations but you are encouraged to purchase their books as a sign of “appreciation.” (Where’s the IRS?)
3. The John Steinbeck Estate was Defrauded by Writer Beware™ & SFWA Attorney: The 2007 Scam that Writer Beware™ Didn’t Report . . . Why?
4. American Book Publishing “Investigation” Research Released: No Proof of Victoria Strauss’ Claims. Flying Monkey, Author Janrae Frank, huffed and puffed (snorted), yet failed to disprove the findings of The Write Agenda. FACT: Victoria Strauss disparaged American Book Publishing.
5. Writer Beware™ utilizes Fact-Finding and Research Skills That Are Questionable.
6. The Science Fiction Writers of America abuses the DMCA and takes away royalties from due paying members.
7. SFWA member postings, representing the organization are becoming more and more an embarrassment for other members. Far too many non-professionals are gaining admittance to SFWA and are diminishing their reputation. Comments such as Author P.N. Elrod’s threats to The Write Agenda “it wouldn’t take ten minutes for one of our hacker friends to bust them flat. Newsflash, Write Agenda: SFWA is full of computer-savvy geeks who love a challenge .” Such comments make SFWA members look like a rouge vigilante group not an organization of professional writers. P.N. Elrod Claims Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers (SFWA) Has Hackers: Cyber Crime Incitement? (Note: P.N Elrod loves to claim that The Write Agenda is responsible for bumps/increases in her book sales. Really? Our efforts have done nothing to lift the sales rankings of Victoria Strauss’ books that remain stagnant in literary dung.)
8. Writer Beware™ has been proven wrong: American Book Publishing: No Case, No Criminal Contact & No Legal Action Taken.
9. Writer Beware™ & the SFWA are named Defendants in the ongoing Bauer vs. Glatzer case; yes, discovery is still proceeding. These people are not out of the woods yet. What they orchestrated is despicable.
10. Ann “A.C.” Crispin and Victoria Strauss have become an embarrassment to the SFWA. While complaints are at an all time high with proven false reporting by Ann “A.C. Crispin and Victoria Strauss, that have been using their volunteer column for personal gain and revenge, SFWA owners and leaders refuse to take action and remove the false information posted by these non-qualified writers. Sci-Fi & Fantasy writers Victoria Strauss & Ann “A.C.” Crispin, who lack any legal or journalism skills or credentials, have been using this column/blog for a personal soapbox vehicle to appear as “experts” volunteering to increase personal book sales or execute revenge towards publishers that rejected them. While naming well known scams, they slip in their efforts to smear a few legitimate companies with vague accusations with no factual basis. For over a decade this disappointing and non-qualified duo has been caught with their pants down, making false reports, while SFWA has not had the leadership integrity to remove false or questionable reports or replace these volunteers with qualified professional journalists that actually possess a sense of ethics. SFWA President, John Scalzi, has no balls . . . man up John!
11. The SFWA lacks leadership and integrity. This is another deep concern and question as to the deterioration of SFWA organizational leadership and integrity. To wit: “In 2007, I got a ballot from the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America . . . the ballot is for electing the officers of SFWA — President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. As I read the ballot, I noticed two things. First, there was only one candidate on the ballot for each category, and no way to register a ‘none of the above’ vote. Each year varies, but there does not seem to be good choices available to choose leaders between. It seems to be the equivalent to a ‘stuffed ballot box’ much of the time.” See http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/004960.html.
12. The Nebula Awards have become insignificant. “The Nebulas are one of the two major awards in literary science fiction, but their luster has dimmed over the last several years; they are no longer the equal to the Hugos in terms of relevance and timeliness, and their nomination process leaves them open to accusations of nomination via logrolling rather than literary quality. As a result, they are less useful to SFWA members in promoting their own Nebula-nominated work, and they are less useful to SFWA as a publicity-generating tool.”- Derryl Murphy
13. SFWA Current policies and practices are receiving great criticism in literary circles. For example: ”SFWA has become a cult, dedicated first and foremost to the preservation of the cult. It has increasingly little to do with creativity, commerce, or the actual business of science fiction.”- Patrick Nielsen Hayden“ http://thewriteagenda.wordpress.com/sfwa/.
RISE UP SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY WRITERS/AUTHORS! THIS ORGANIZATION HAS FAILED YOU. IT’S TIME FOR CHANGE. TIME TO CREATE A NEW SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY WRITERS ORGANIZATION. IT’S TIME TO CREATE A NEW “WATCHDOG” GROUP. THE PRESIDENT OF THE SFWA, JOHN SCALZI, DOESN’T HAVE THE BALLS TO RECOMMEND REPLACING ANN “A.C.” CRISPIN AND VICTORIA STRAUSS . . . THOUGH HE SHOULD . . . WRITER BEWARE COULD BE A GREAT ASSET TO THE PUBLISHING COMMUNITY. IT’S NOT. IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN THE MARKETING MACHINE OF VICTORIA STRAUSS AND ANN “A.C.” CRISPIN GUILTING YOU INTO PURCHASING THEIR BOOKS AS A TOKEN OF “APPRECIATION.”
The Write Agenda by The Write Agenda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. Based on all work at thewriteagenda.wordpress.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://thewriteagenda.wordpress.com.
© The Write Agenda, 2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from The Write Agenda is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to The Write Agenda with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by The Write Agenda (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). Please contact The Write Agenda for sample attributions.